Monday, April 2, 2012

Just a Quick Vent About Homosexuality

My mother and I had a long conversation about homosexuality today, that ended with me getting so frustrated I cut it off.  I mentioned that if Katie (who was sitting here listening) were to come home one day and say "Mom, I like girls," I would love her and support her.  Mom went off and said "I'd beat her butt!"  Katie looked upset too.  I tried to explain my position, she didn't want to hear it, and kept yelling "I raised you better than this!"  Most of ya'll know how I was raised...strict Pentecostal.  I believe my Bible, I believe many things, but I also have a brain and can think for myself, and I have compassion.  Mom yelled that she supposed I'd be happy if one of my kids were gay.  Why would I be happy about that?  Why would I want my child to have to live a life in shadows, unhappy and possibly alone, open to criticism, intolerance, and outright bigotry, just to be who they felt they were meant to be?  I don't have the "right" answers about homosexuality.  All I can do is heed Christ's teachings to "Judge not, lest ye be judged," and to love my neighbor.  I've done so many things wrong in my life, and am still being judged for them.  I know how it feels.  My children suffer because I'm being judged.  That pisses me right off, I can tell you.  I NEVER want them to be judged.  So of course I wouldn't be thrilled if one came to me and "confessed" their orientation wasn't the "norm" but ya know what? I'd love them anyway, and that's all I can do.  I'm so sick of all the hate and bigotry.  I've been guilty of thoughtless comments...still am.  We all say things we don't mean sometimes or don't intend them to sound the way they sound, but I go back to "love one another."  That's all I can do.  Probably gonna lose some more friends, but that's ok too.  Its kinda funny, cause after this heated discussion, I saw here on facebook a response to a popular blog called "I'm Christian...Unless You're Gay"  Love that blog post.  He says it so much better than I ever could...which is probably why I'm not a big deal on the blog circuit ;)

So that's it.  Just seriously felt the need to vent...and unfortunately around here, I'm not allowed to about certain topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment